Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Future of Flash

Hey gang! First off,
3 posts in one day?
...that's a record! I'm writing because I was struck by a discussion going on over art Cartoon Brew, spurred by one studio's announcement they they are dropping Flash in favor of ToonBoom's Harmony. Check it out, lots of good discussion (here). People are generally complaining about how buggy it is, how it was never truly made to serve animators, and how all the new filters have been nothing but a tease.

One person in the chain of comments linked to this video of new Flash features. Watch the first one called "Flash Next." Skip the video part. They introduce fancier tweening properties, and the much longed for skeleton feature, which allows you to build a jointed framework into a character. This is something ToonBoom already has, I believe.

Flash has its problems (really), but it is hands down my favorite program, probably ever. It can do so many things, remarkably well. We simply couldn't exist as a company without it. I don't really care about the bells and whistles some people long for, especially because I'm not the biggest fan of tweening (a character skeleton sounds interesting, but it does nothing for the animation I'd be interested in creating). Give me some better character management tools (mouths for lipsync, character palettes), better bitmap handling, and bring back that Flash MX drawing performance factor. I'll be a happy camper.

No comments: